Tuesday 1 May 2012

Finale

The final marathon has been and gone. The lead up to it could have been more productive but what with my left calf muscle giving me problems and then catching a cold I couldn't maximise my long runs, so the longest I did was only 17 miles, about 2hrs 50min run. 
Sunday came around and what a day. The heavens had opened and the wind picked up. The roads were torrential with standing water and it was cold, about 5*c. We drove up and got there about 8.30. This wasn't going to be an enjoyable run with the weather conditions and all. 
Ok, so we got ready and handed our bags into the secure storage and proceeded to the start. It was cold and wet but know one on the tannoy to announce the start and get people ready. Supposedly Liz Yelling was to start the race, did she? I don't know. the race itself was well marshalled and good water stations every 3 miles, with sports drinks aswell and gels if needed. The course was through the cycle ways of Milton Keynes but wasn't very flowing. There was a lot of sharp 90 degree turns and with the added burden of standing water across the pathways, this did upset the rhythm. But at 18 miles I still felt good and knew I could back of a bit and go down to 9 - 9.30 min miles and be under 4hrs. 
The outcome? Yes I managed 3hr 56min. To say I wasn't happy was an under statement, what with the weather conditions. You feel quite emotional when you finish I can tell you. The goody bag was good with a nice medal to add to the collection. 
My only criticism was there was no foil blanket given out to the runners, especially as it was cold when you finished and of course very wet and the baggage collection could have been more slick with more helpers on the trucks, but as this was the first running of the marathon you hope they will learn for next year. As for any more marathons, well I have entered the ballot for the London marathon 2013 so we will have to wait and see. 
At least there was no injuries to the feet, the Nike Elite's I run in were excellent, so would definitely recommend them.
Below is a link to my Garmin site with my splits and time.

No comments:

Post a Comment